Sunday 12 February 2012

Sailing/rowing skiff

Steel rudder
Skiff with shallow-draft keel
Because I'm presently all wrapped up in building our house in Sauce I have had to put my large sailing catamaran project on hold temporarily.  In the meantime I had the notion to have a 17 foot wooden skiff built by a local boat builder which I would then adapt for sail and rowing.  So far I have added a shallow-draft keel with steel rudder to the bottom which I have also fiberglassed to prevent wood borers entering and then painted the exterior.
Home made oars
Next step will be to turn the boat over, paint the inside and fit out with seats, a tiller, mast, boom, oars and oarlocks.
It won't be winning any prizes for speed but rowing it will be good excercise and it should remain pretty flat when sailing in a blow.  Lots of weight below.....


Our new dock with renovated dugout canoe

No comments:

Post a Comment